Six Steps to Getting Started with SkillBuilder LMS
Using SkillBuilder LMS is easy. In this article, learn how to use your SkillBuilder Learning Management System
We know that setting up SkillBuilder LMS can seem daunting, especially if you're new to the system, and don't know where to begin. If that's you, this short blog post will help you get started.
1. Activate your SkillBuilder LMS Platform
You can start a trial run by clicking here. Simply choose the URL of your learning platform, then add your name, email, phone and company name. You'll receive a confirmation email to create a password; use it to sign in with your credentials and access your learning platform.
2. Customize your Platform
Customizing your learning management system helps your learners recognize a brand that they are comfortable with and respect. You can personalize the appearance of the LMS layout under the themes tab in the admin menu.
When you log in as a Super Administrator, select Site Settings on the left side menu bar, then select Theme. From here you can:
- Select the default page
- Upload your logo and add a link to your logo
- Select the primary and secondary colors for the site (colors will be suggested based on the logo you upload, but you can change them to anything you like)
- Customize your certificates of completion by uploading a signature
3. Add Users
You may add users (or 'accounts') to SkillBuilder LMS either one at a time or through a bulk load. To do so, on the left side menu bar, select People, then select Accounts. The LMS can also be integrated with other applications that holds people data for your organization (ERP, HRIS, CRM, etc.), so accounts can automatically be created through an application program interface (API).
Here are some tips to manage your users:
- If you have a large number of users, map your organization using the Groups feature and assign training automatically by department or job position.
- Assign different roles to users depending on the level of access you want them to have. These roles can include: learner, exam proctor, evaluator, facilitator, learning item admin, reporter, group admin or site admin.
- Streamline the upload process by creating a .txt or .csv file of your user data for upload to the platform, or copy/paste from Excel.
Important: You can add as many accounts as you want. Only users activated in the platform or "active users" will be taken into account in your subscription.
4. Create Learning Items
Before creating Learning Paths and assigning them to users, you first need to add Learning Items. SkillBuilder LMS allows you to offer learners a variety of Learning Items, including:
- Downloads: Upload documents that you might want to provide as reference. These documents could be informational, procedural, or they could be downloadable reference pages or job aids for learners to keep after their training is complete. SkillBuilder supports .doc and pdf files.
- Learning journals: Journals allow learners to record their thoughts and answer pertinent questions as they work through a Learning Path. Learning Journals are not scored but learners can download the completed document for future reference.
- Online Lessons: Whether you choose to purchase existing content, build your own courseware, or outsource course development, SkillBuilder allows you to seamlessly integrate online lessons into your Learning Path. SkillBuilder is SCORM and xAPI (Tin Can) compliant.
- Seminars and Webinars: SkillBuilder can track scheduling and enrollment for in-class or web-based training sessions. The Admin can be responsible for all registrations, or choose to set up an online storefront, and allow for self-registration.
- URLs: Direct learners to further resources by uploading URLs of relevant websites or videos.
You can also create a variety of evaluation items, including assignments, pre-tests, external qualifications, online exams and practical evaluations.
To add a Learning Item, on the left side menu bar, select Learning Items, then click on the Add Learning Items button to access the five-step Wizard that will help you add a Learning Item. Then, choose a learning type from the displayed options. Every learning item should include these(?) elements:
- A name: The official name of the Learning Item
- A distinct code: A combination of letters and numbers you can search for based on a coding system that you develop
- A description: A brief overview of the information included in the Learning Item; keep this to two or three sentences, and focus on the learning objectives
You can also add an estimated time to complete the learning item, an expiry date, as well as completion points if gamification is enabled in your LMS.
5. Create Learning Paths
You can now organize your Learning Items into paths. A Learning Path is a collection of Learning Items that include support for learning, evaluation, and recognition. Administrators can combine multiple Learning Items in a Path to guide learners towards a certification.
To create a Learning Path, select Learning Paths on the left side menu bar, select Add Learning Path, enter your Learning Path name and click Save, then add the Learning Items you want to include in your Learning Path.
- You can choose a thumbnail icon from the library, or upload your own image from your computer related to the Learning Path topic.
- Once you have created your Learning Path, you can enter a brief description of what the Path entails.
- You can drag and drop the Items into whatever order you want them to appear, and make certain Learning Items mandatory or prerequisites in order to get the certification. At least one Learning Item must be required for learners to earn their certificate.
6. Assign Learning Paths to Users
Finally, you will want to assign the Path you have just created to your chosen users. If you've already organized users into groups, you will be able to assign learning to several users at the same time. To achieve this:
- Select Assignments on the left side menu bar, then select Path to Learner Assignments
- Select Assign Paths to Learners
- Select the Path you created and click Next
- Choose the learner and click Next
- Review the assignment and click Confirm
And that's it! In six easy steps, you have created a customized platform, developed Learning Items and arranged them into a Learning Path, and assigned training to users - everything you need to do to get started!
We developed this blog post to give you the resources you need to get the most out of your free trial with SkillBuilder LMS. Sign up for a free trial today to see just how simple this can be, and see why Capterra has chosen SkillBuilder as one of the top 20 most user-friendly LMS software!
Six Ways to Leverage SkillBuilder® LMS
Learn how our LMS’s functionality can improve your training program!
📘 Ready to Elevate Your Learning Strategy?
Explore our comprehensive library of eBooks and tools on learning resource development, competency-based learning, and LMS implementation. Transform your training programs with insights from industry experts and practical templates.
Sarah is an Instructional Designer at BaseCorp Learning Systems and is currently completing a PhD in Educational Technology. Her research focuses on implementing competency-based learning systems in all types of organizations. When she doesn't have her nose in a book you can find her at the gym, on the ice, on the ski hill, drinking wine or in a coffee shop … with her nose in a book.