Agnico Eagle Customer Success
Agnico Eagle is a Canadian gold mining company, producing precious metals from operations in Canada, Australia, Finland and Mexico. It has a variety of high-quality exploration and development projects in these countries as well as in the United States and Colombia.
Detour Lake Mine in Ontario, Canada needed an organizational onboarding and training program that could be delivered through their existing learning management system (LMS) to over 2,400 employees 24/7.
Agnico Eagle had many trainers in different departments who were each developing their own programs with minimal coordination from the organization. They had produced a variety of training materials, but both learning content and management of onboarding and training programs lacked consistency across the organization.
In 2018, Agnico Eagle asked SkillBuilder to implement a comprehensive competency-based learning (CBL) program for the Detour Lake mine site. The SkillBuilder team completed:
- A needs assessment
- Identification of skills required to work at the mine site
- Identification of existing training resources
- Identification of needed resources
- Development of necessary course materials, including:
- eLearning modules and online assessments
- Job aids
- Practical evaluations (on-the-job skill checks) The new CBL program not only enabled consistent training across the site but provided a better way to track and manage the competency of all staff.
Agnico Eagle now has over 80 active online courses and assessments covering vital mine operations and management, including:
- Hazardous material handling
- Heavy machinery operation and maintenance
- Health and safety
- Leadership and management
- Software use (SAP, Excel, etc.)
- Code of conduct and ethics
- Standard operating procedures
Agnico Eagle tracks and manages employee progress though the necessary training for each role. This oversight is combined with standardized and coordinated training material to ensure everyone in the mine is on the same page and can work together safely, ethically, and effectively.
The SkillBuilder team continues to work with Agnico Eagle to build new learning resources as the need arises. We are also working together to expand the CBL program to other Agnico Eagle mines both in Ontario (Macassa) and abroad (Fosterville in Australia).